non profit

Orin orin
Fri Nov 9 00:35:41 GMT 2001

First, let's spell out the list policy.

When promoting a commercial product, you get ONE post, whether you
profit from the product or not.  I do want interesting products to
be mentioned and being a list member should not preclude you from
posting information about your own product.

Group buys are considered non-commercial and are therefore exempt.
A small BS charge on a group buy - to cover variations in postal rates,
component price increases and so on seems to be a tradition and has been
around $0.50 in the past.  Even with it sponsors of group buys have
been known to lose money, so it's OK as far as I'm concerned.

> While the new GP of the WB boards has a board price of $3.99, I don't see
> how selling a board at $12.50 by Peter in and of itself violates the letter
> or spirit of the Users Agreement on the WB Intellectual Property being used
> only for personal and non-profit uses.

As I see it, if you contract the design and fabrication to a third
party and it happens to be $12.50 per board, fine.  If you do the
design yourself and the fabrication is $3 per board, then charging
$12.50 per board is against the non-profit policy.

If I personally set the policy, I'd say that if such design was your
profession and you turned away other work to do the design, then it wouldn't
be unreasonable to charge your overhead... but not your regular rate
which of course includes profit.  If you merely delay other work, then
I'd say you were taking a vacation to do the non-profit project and
you shouldn't be charging anything for your time.  This is my opinion
and would only apply to anything I contribute.  Bruce is free to
set his own rules for the DIY-WB project.

> Who is the list administrator?  What is the policy for having someone
> removed from the list?

I'm the list admin and I don't remove people other than for
email that bounces.  I'm an admin, not a moderator.  Deciding to
remove someone would have to be done between the owner of diy-efi.org
and the server.

Orin.