Intro Post

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Tue Nov 13 20:10:09 GMT 2001

Personally I'd consider going to a different ecm, that's already hac'd.
For all the work your going to do here, you still only have control of the
fuel.  Going with a GMC Syclone or GN ecm gets you completely tunibility.

More specifics are needed about what type of ignition system you have to
make a selection of something else, or if there is a simple alternative.

Also, don't get too down on MAF systems overall, there are some clever ones
out there
Bruce

From: "Jesse Ruppel" <ruppeljw at capital.net>
Subject: Intro Post
> Hello List,
> My name is Jesse Ruppel and I am currently a Senior at Rensselaer
> Polytechnic Institute majoring in Mechanical Engineering.  I own a much
> modified 87 Toyota Supra turbo, and I am currently researching the design
of
> a system to eliminate the OEM air flow meter and replace it with a
> speed-density system.  I will be running a large (Garrett T-61) turbo on
my
> engine, and the OEM AFM becomes a large restriction, and there is also the
> need for control of larger fuel injectors.  Currently, HKS sells a product
> known as a Vein Pressure Converter (VPC) that currently does something
> similar to what I am looking for.
>
> The OEM AFM on the car is a Karmen Vortex design and therefore outputs a
> square wave signal with frequency proportional to the velocity of the air
> flow.  My goal is make a system that outputs a square wave signal
> proportional to mass flow determined through a speed-density algorithm to
> the OEM Toyota TCCS (Toyota Computer Control System).  This will
essentially
> "trick" the computer into thinking the mass flow rate is less than it
really
> is to allow compensation for larger injectors.  Of course tuning of OEM
fuel
> map via modification of the VE table would also be possible.  The HKS VPC
> system does this same thing, but it is expensive (over $1000), it requires
> the purchase of new chips to compensate for different size injectors, and
> the tuning abilities are limited; still many people find it very
effective.
> The TCCS was a very sophisticated system for it's day (and for the most
part
> still is), which is why I would like to keep it rather than going with a
> standalone system.
>
> I have taken the embedded control course at RPI which utilized the
Motorola
> 68HC11 processor with the EVB Evaluation Board.  All the programming was
> done in C, and by looking through the diy-efi page it does not look like
> that is the popular way to do it.  I am not really sure which processor
> would best to go with right now.  It would obviously need some sort of
Flash