DIY_EFI Digest V5 #883

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 00:10:47 GMT 2001

On Thursday, November 15, 2001 12:50 PM Jay Vessels
wrote:

> A 3-bit counter (4-bit 74xx part, set to count 0-7
> then repeat for an SBC) drives a 1-of-n decoder (SBC
> wants 1-of-8).  Counter increments each time the
> module triggers.  Each output line of the 1-of-n
> decoder turns on an indivdual CMOS switch (a pair of
> 4066 parts would work) whose input is driven by the
> EST module and whose output is connected to an
> indivdual coil.

<pick apart mode>
Not sure I understand what part the 4066 plays here?
Once you have the 1-of-n signal, you can feed it to
the driver circuit. Or are you proposing the 4066 as
the driver? AFAIK, these can only handle a few tens of
mA, you need lot's nmore than that to drive the coils.
And if you use waste spark coils, only need a 2-bit
counter for a V-8 ( or maybe $0.23 ) ;).
If you are suggesting the 4066 to 'gate' the actual
timing signal, just AND it with the 1-of-n signal and
feed to each high current driver.
</pick apart mode>

Yes, you could do this.

Carter Shore