Honda ECU?

William Howell william.howell at home.com
Fri Nov 23 19:43:32 GMT 2001

The Hondata ECU is by far the best solution for someone wanting to install a
stand alone ECU in a Honda.  It's the only ECU tailored for use with VTEC,
which includes two maps for fuel (low cam and VTEC cam lobes) and two maps
for ignition (again for low cam and VTEC cam lobes).  It turns the stock
Honda ECU into a fully programmable stand alone unit, complete with data
logging, and a wide band O2 option!  The ECUs are only available in the OBD1
variety, so to install one on an OBDII car, one has to do an OBD1 swap.  I
did this on my Prelude (but I am changing it back, as I am turning the car
back into a street car), and it's not bad at all.  I just re-pinned the ECU
connectors.  All in all, after the cost of a 93 Civic ECU, the Hondata
package, and converting the ECU harness, you're looking at about $1k, or
$1200 or so with the boost option.  More if you want the WB option.  The
nice thing is that it uses all of the Honda sensors, so that installation is
quite simple.  It's a very high quality product, and everyone I know that
has used it was thoroughly impressed.

Now, if AEM's stand alone is all the hype says it is, it will be the
plug-n-play stand alone system to beat.

The Link system is similar, however there is a lot of debate with the Miata
guys about the Link, as it seems to suffer from spark scatter at high RPMs.
This is mostly in boosted engines, as most NA guys don't use the Link.

Billy