New member - Aircraft engine EFI

Paul Messinger paulm at tenforward.com
Mon Nov 26 23:42:23 GMT 2001

Consider the total problem. While the Bing Carbs seem heavy, when you
replace them with injectors and associated tubing and add a pressure reg and
fuel pump they are light.

Then there is the problem of electronics. When they fail its common to be
sudden and total. Carbs usually degrade first.

I am finishing up a MPFI system for an experimental and have dual computers
and sensors as well as dual fuel pumps etc. This for redundency. Few safe
landing places here what with trees and stump farms not to memtion the Puget
sound west of Seattle.

Lots of issues to consider.

Megasquirt a little late for my project but looks like a winner.

Paul

Hi all,

I've just built a modified BMW R100 air cooled motorcycle engine to fit
into
a light aircraft.  As an electronic engineer I have been pondering over
whether to go down the EFI route, rather than use the big, heavy Bing carbs
that came with the engine.n gearbox driving the propeller).

Can any of you experienced people see a major flaw in my thinking here?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jeremy
Salisbury
UK