Cam position sensing w/o a cam sensor

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 27 00:34:11 GMT 2001

let me clarify my situation a bit.  The engine is a motorcycle engine which
uses a DIS system (nothing on the cam to drive distributor/fuelpump).  The
reason why I'm trying to find something other than a Cam sensor is that I am
having trouble mounting it.  Then cam is driven my a sprocket mounted in the
center of each of the two cams.  So reading off of this sprocket is pretty
hard due to the position of the sprocket, and the lack of room in that area.
  I'm doing some tests tomorrow night to see if the hall effect sensors I
have now are accurate enough to detect the cam lobes themselves, since there
is a lack of accesible sharp edges to to get readings off of.  I am also
very hesitant to modify the cam.

I don't see why one needs to sync the cam to the flywheel more than once,
but if you guys have some good reasons, I'd like to hear them.

-santi