MSD 6A

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 01:38:16 GMT 2001

>  Multiple spark helps with a really rich idle type mixture.
>  At higher rpms, there isn't enough time for more than a couple
>  of sparks.  You will get hotter sparks however.  YMMV.

It's been a while since there was so many hits on
such a simple topic.  Obviously, your results may vary,
but here are some personal observations I had with the 6A.
1. On a bracket car, with lots of cam overlap, big carb
and an auto trans, the MSD box made it feel much sharper
on the dry hops, and off idle etc.  As mentioned above, during
those over rich conditions, the multiple spark really seems to help.

2. On my turbo syclone 4.3, I was having a problem with
a lack of spark energy when the boost got above 18psi.
It resulted in shudder or misfire, under high boost conditions.
I proved that there was just not enough zap by closing the
plug gaps from .045 to .028 and the misfire under boost dissappeared.
I wanted to run the .045 gap, so I installed a 6A.  It worked great.
Two years later, after replacing the original ignition wires, I pulled
MSD out of the mix, and the truck still ran well under high boost.
In hindsight, the 6A sort of "masked" weak links in the system.
Summit sells MSD "no splice" install kits for most popular apps.
They use connectors the are compatible with the factory harness.
Mine were distrubutor cap applications.  The coil pack buicks
have a much better setup, and probably wouldn't gain much.
I believe that for dissy setups, the multiple spark and higher
current are both good to have <unless you are a stereo buff>.
Mike V