Saturn Problems

Matthew McCain mmccain at usaor.net
Wed Nov 28 04:48:58 GMT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C1778A.8FBB6620

Hello,

My friend has a Saturn sedan 1.9L MPI, Manual Trans.  I Think it is a =
1992 it is around there though.  We have been having problems with the =
idling speed and when you push in the clutch to shift to another gear =
the rpms don't drop down when the clutch is depressed.  The clutch is =
disengaging.  It even stays the same if you have it in neutral going =
down the road.  But when you rev it at a stop the rpms come right back =
down.  When you start to come to a stop (as you are slowing down with =
the clutch in) the RPMs start to drop but stay above 1000rpms until you =
come to a complete stop.  He hasn't got very good gas mileage out of it =
either.  But one of his problems is that when he bought it, has bigger =
tires on it that should be.  At 60 mph it tacks about 3000 in 5th gear, =
which I think is high.  The ratio number on the tire  is larger.  I know =
the bigger the tire the more power it takes to start off.  How much =
bigger is bad?  It is sluggish when taking off at a stop sign.  I have =
cleaned the throttle body out, cleaned the Idle Air Control valve and =
where it seats into.  Check for vacuum leaks, TPS and everything seems =
ok.  No codes come out of the computer. Just the normal code 12.  We =
have tried different grades of gas and fuel injection cleaner.  =
Sometimes is seems it gets worse as it warms up. (Closed Loop)  We have =
changed the following:
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs and wires (no dist. has coil packs)
Air Cleaner

Is there anything else I could check?  Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Matt McCain

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C1778A.8FBB6620

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My friend has a Saturn sedan 1.9L MPI, =
Manual=20
Trans.&nbsp; I Think it is a 1992 it is around there though.&nbsp; We =
have been=20
having problems with the idling speed and when&nbsp;you&nbsp;push in the =
clutch=20
to shift to another gear the rpms don't drop down&nbsp;when the clutch =
is=20
depressed.&nbsp; The clutch is disengaging.&nbsp; It even stays the same =
if you=20
have it in neutral going down the road.&nbsp; But when you rev it at a =
stop the=20
rpms come right back down.&nbsp; When you start to come to a stop (as =
you are=20
slowing down with the clutch in) the RPMs start to drop but stay above =
1000rpms=20
until you come to a complete stop.&nbsp; He hasn't got very good gas =
mileage out=20
of it either.&nbsp; But one of his problems is that when he bought it, =
has=20
bigger tires on it that should be.&nbsp;&nbsp;At 60 mph it tacks about =
3000 in=20
5th gear, which I think is high.&nbsp; The ratio number on the=20
tire&nbsp;&nbsp;is larger.&nbsp; I know the bigger the tire the more =
power it=20
takes to start off.&nbsp; How much bigger is bad?&nbsp; It is sluggish =
when=20
taking off at a stop sign.&nbsp; I have cleaned the throttle body out, =
cleaned=20
the Idle Air Control valve and where it seats into.&nbsp; Check for =
vacuum=20
leaks, TPS and everything seems ok.&nbsp; No codes come out of the =
computer.=20
Just the normal code 12.&nbsp; We have tried different grades of gas and =
fuel=20
injection cleaner.&nbsp; Sometimes is seems it gets worse as it warms =
up.=20
(Closed Loop)&nbsp; We have changed the following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fuel Filter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Spark Plugs and wires (no dist. =
has&nbsp;coil=20
packs)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Air Cleaner</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Is there anything else I could =
check?&nbsp; Any=20
Suggestions?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Matt McCain</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C1778A.8FBB6620--