MSD 6A & rotor gaps

Barry Tisdale btisdale at cybersol.com
Wed Nov 28 05:46:21 GMT 2001

Awhile back, while trying to troubleshoot an engine miss situation, I cut
away a 'window' in a used distrib cap on a spare distributor to see if
there might be a prob there.  Various rotors gave gaps between .020" and
damn near 1/8".  Oddly enough, the distance between opposite electrodes in
several caps was practically the same - most variation was in the length of
the 'finger' on the rotors.

What relationship does rotor / cap gap have to ignition performance?  Seems
the smaller the gap there, the better - right or wrong??

Barry - Sy#26
Bangor, MI