Soldering Techniques

David LaRoe davidlaroe at home.com
Wed Nov 28 22:16:09 GMT 2001

First reply from a person who really knows how to solder!  Carter uses a 15W
heating element while I use a 12W when I can still find them.  In extremes,
when soldering to a ground plane, I might go as high as a 20W element. For
disordering, using a solder sucker is ok but it is a skill operation.
Practice,, practice on surplus parts prior to attempting your first real
board.  Soldering on harnesses is no longer allowed by Mil Spec or NASA.
Too much of a chance of have a cold solder joint or wicking of the inserted
wire.  Acquire a good crimping tool for the  size pins you are using and do
"pull tests" once in a while for your own quality control. ..............
Dave