MSD 6A in NASCAR and an ignition question (ionization)

Kevin _ kiggly at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:28:43 GMT 2001

> > The teams are not allowed to tamper with the guts of
> > the box.
> > Bruce
> >

>And as we all know, there's no *cheatin'* in NASCAR!

Actually, there is probably the LEAST cheating in NASCAR of any motorsports
activity I've ever seen.  There is very, very, very little you can get away
with because all an official has to do is see something just a bit out of
the ordinary and he can deem it illegal and tell you to change it.  As far
as the ignition boxes go though, its beyond easy to just swap in another
random, off-the-shelf MSD box.  I seriously doubt any teams are tampering
with the boxes, both for lack of probable gains (gotta be close to nil
gains) and lack of time/budget/know-how.  When you're racing every weekend
all over the country its really tough to set aside a development staff that
doesn't just chase the race team around.  Anyway, I'm not going to waste any
more bandwidth on this thread.

I do have an EFI pertinent question though - does anybody have any
experience with spark plug ionization?  After the first time I saw this I've
been completely sold on its possibilities and want to set up a simple
system, but I'm not really sure where to start from in getting something
like this up and running.  Namely, I'd really like to get a plug ionization
current input to my J&S knock sensor box instead of the mechanically noisy
signal the knock sensor gives.  The J&S could do all the windowing and
frequency filtering, I'd just like it to see a real signal that is only
detonation and not various engine noise.  All I would really need to do is
have a plug ionization current that is then amplified to work in a similar
scale of response to what the current knock sensor does, their output form
is the same (knock sensor rings with detonation at cylinder bore
cross-chamber frequency just as the pressure pulse being detected by
ionization will oscillate).  Has anybody started any projects pertaining to
this or is anything going on right now?

Thanks for any info,

Kevin