Correct A:F Ratio @ WOT?

Cosby, Melvin C. (GEL, MSX) Melvin.Cosby at Lighting.GE.com
Tue Oct 2 02:09:37 GMT 2001

Please help me out here.
I think I am missing something here.

Jeff Bromberger wrote
> :-)  of course, timing will effect the readings a lot... if i'm at 12.0:1
> running 34 degrees of timing and i drop the timing to 30 degrees the AFR
may
> go to 11.5:1... so they are definitely tied together, but if you're in the

Fuel, air, and therefore AFR, are inputs to the engine, along with
throttle position, timing, load etc.
Torque, speed, and exhaust gas content are outputs.
So, if you change timing (an input) you are saying another input changed
(AFR).
Sounds like some sort of feedback control is going on.
I am assuming your dyno run was with your ECM running.
Is this true?
If so then without holding all parameters constant except the one you want
to see the effect of, it is hard to conclude that timing alone affects AFR.
Timing affecting exhaust gas content holding input AFR constant I can see.
By input AFR I mean the actual fuel and air input to the engine, not the
inferred
reading by the O2 sensor.
Maybe I am confused by the usage of AFR as measured on the exhaust side with
a sensor,
and the actual input AFR.
See what I mean, or am I out to lunch?

Thanks,