WB-LED display

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Tue Oct 2 06:14:07 GMT 2001

I don't know what to say, except it works better wired right.

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:37:48 -0400 "Mark S. Riley"
<turbotuneusltd at triad.rr.com> writes:
> I was starting to look at it when your message came in.
> Yes, I did reverse R3 and R14 along with pins 3 and 12
> on the LM2902. Also had the 2 leads from the rich side
> and lean side LM3914 to pins 5 and 10 on the LM2902.

> All backwards and it still worked not bad. Well, I straightened
> it all out. What I did was not reference the right pins from
> underneath the perf board. Got almost all of them backwards.
> Changed them to correctly match the wiring diagram but
> I still had the J3 and J4 backwards. Seemed like the steps
> were right but now the display was backwards. Switched
> the J3 and J4 wires so that now they were connected to the
> correct pins on the LM2902,  J3-pin 3 and J4- pin 12. Now
> the rich side steps correctly, 1.75 volt  is about 12 or 13 from
> center. But, now from 2.47 volt up, the entire lean side is lit
> continously unless the voltage drops down to or below 2.47
> volt.  Then the rich side looks normal but as soon as the
> voltage goes up to 2.48 or more it lights all 20 lean led's.
> Have I blown the LM2902?

Check pin 8 of U8 to see if it just swings from gnd to 7V
as you go above 2.47V in.  If so R3 may be open ckt.  If
you short pins 8 & 9, and the swing becomes very small
(stays around 2.5V), U8 is probably OK.

Bruce Roe