interference from ignition systems

Dan Zorde dzorde at erggroup.com
Wed Oct 3 00:59:46 GMT 2001

Try taking the power and gnd directly to the battery terminals (not car
chassis), ensure the box is connected to the the car chassis as a
shield.  Ensure no gnd from the circuit inside the box is connected
directly to the box (will compromise the shielding).  Decouple your
incoming power and gnd (from battery) to chassis via 0.1uF caps, also
connect a 1Mohm resistor from incoming gnd to chassis (helps remove
noise spikes and bleed off any static charges).

Also have a look at the FTP site there should be a copy of a nice psu I
use for our automotive equipment.  Can't remember what the file is
called though, but if you can find it you could rig up the filtering
section of the front end.

Alternatively (if possible), try putting a coffee tin (connected to
chassis) over the distributor, the police used to do this years ago,
when high power ignition systems came in and they started to interfere
with the radios.

Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com