Software and Hardware request !

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Oct 3 03:36:28 GMT 2001

Bruce wrote:

> Easy Shannen, talk like that too much will give ya a reputation. <g>
> Bruce

LOL...

A reputation.  Great.  Something else to store over the winter.

In shadow of the recent holy war over DIY-WB, user's agreements, and the
generally lowered quality of recyclable content of late, I feel I should offer
an apology to Mr. Berry for my offhand remarks.  I may have read his post
entirely incorrectly.

As a matter of fact, at one time I was in the same situation as Santi.  I did
call several of the professional tuners around the country, and I called some of
them multiple times trying to get any clues, any info, anything that would help
me get started tuning my own cars.  I was eventually talked into buying a very
expensive piece of software by a company with a large magazine presence, and I
was told it would allow me to tune anything I could possiby want to tune.
Unfortunately this software was little more than a DOS hex editor with a
graphical data display, and it didn't allow any more (or any easier) tuning than
a shareware program like Hexedit.  I had even tried to speak to these shops as a
professional mechanic, thinking that would carry some weight.  It didn't.  In
the end I ended up paying way too much for way too little, which is a situation
all too common in the EFI business.

You (Santi) should call the tuners if you're curious.  I've seen copies of
replies written by Ed Wright.  They are very blunt.  To anyone who thinks Bruce
has an attitude, I say spend no time writing flowery letters to Ed.  He's in
business, he's got work to do, and if he feels it's too damn expensive to put
the time and effort into developing Cavalier 2.2 liter programming, he'll say
so.  Just.  Like.  That.  But you never know what you'll hear if you don't make
the call.  You may get lucky, and somebody may be feeling a bit generous that
day.  You may get an offer to do initial programming on your car for less than
normal, or you may get clues as to what you need.  Just remember not to expect
the information or time for free, which is a mistake many people make.  But also
be warned that there are plenty of people looking to make a fast buck,
especially if they think you've got money to spend.

Shannen