How do you tune an ECU without knock control

Jeff Meager jmeager at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 4 00:35:28 GMT 2001

Factory cars, especially turbo, came equipped with knock sensors to make
them idiot proof.  You can put all the octane labels in the fuel filler, in
the manual etc, but you will still have people putting low octane into these
cars.

Rather than damaging engines and having to repair/replace under warr, they
use knock sensors.

On the tuning side.  I have been using a knock microphone for tuning
recently.  It plugs onto the engine block near where the knock sensor would
be, and you can here any PROBLEMATIC knock.
Take note.  A knock sensor it tuned to also only listen for loud knock.  If
they weren't the ign retard system would be overworked due to all the other
engine noise that is going on, that is within the same frequencies.

With the knock mic on, you can here the air-con gas flowing through the
system when you turn it on, it's quite amazing.

Anyhow, my final point.  We have recently tuned a 732hp(@wheels) 2.2 Litre
Nissan SR20Turbo engine using the knock mic, and Motec.  This thing lights
up 5th gear at over 140Mph...

Jeff