How do you tune an ECU without knock control

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 4 02:03:54 GMT 2001

Bruce tapped away at the keyboard with:

> I guess some adults do believe in fairy tales.
> Check out rod bearing wear, oil break down, and the like.

I don't really feel like pulling down a perfectly-good engine to
check rod bearing wear.

Oil breakdown is more of a problem because of consistently-high
temperatures (between 95 C and 135 C). That's one reason to use
synthetic which lasts the usual change interval (15,000km).

> I put well over 200,000 miles on my LG4 Firebird, without a problem, and
> that included hundreds of 600' and 1/4 mile passes, without so much as
> taking a valve cover off (other then to install 1.6 rockers).  I did a
> timing chain at 160K miles for grins.  I put 90K miles on a 1500cc 155HP
> Fiat, and the bearings, rings pistons etc, were like new, reinstalled the
> old rings, and new bearing and went another 90K miles.  I won't bore you
> with all of my customers cars (when I used to do mechanical work).
> Anyone that indorses running trace or tip in detonation, oh never mind.....
> Bruce

Just because it works without noticeable knock, doesn't mean it
won't work better with light-knock. (Doesn't automatically mean
it'll survive knock, but that's another issue.)