cheap small laptop

Phil Hunter ilphayunterhay at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 23:43:25 GMT 2001

Santi & List,

take a look at this one, I thought it was so well
suited for our purposes that I bought two of 'em:

http://www.halted.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/cgi-local/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+gwjw6303ff4aa04a+-p+-c+scstore.cfg+80604

That s/b one long line, if it doesn't work, go to
http://www.halted.com, look in Weekly Specials, go
to last (5th?) page, click on Tablet PC.

A couple of big caveats tho', note there is neither
a floppy drive nor a cdrom, and the harddrive is
PCMCIA, you must be fairly proficient w/ PCs or know
someone who is, 'cuz you won't be able to load s/w in
a normal way. The first one I bought came w/ only the
2 hidden files (io.sys & msdos.sys) and command.com
for messdos 6.20, I put the drive in another laptop &
copied files that way. Look at http://www.dosos.com
for MSDOS 6.20. After I got the files loaded, I set up
intersrv.exe so I can do laplink style file transfers.

Instead of the hard drive, I've also booted it up from
a CompactFlash card in a PCMCIA adapter, so that's
another possibility, quick, quiet, rugged.

No support from Fujitsu, but drivers and s/w on
http://www.fujitsupc.com for the Stylistic 500 work
fine, you might even be able to get Win95 working on
it.

Power is 16VDC, but I found that w/ a cigarette
lighter connection you won't go below about 1/4
battery level. You'll have to make your own cable,
but Halted carries the power connector you'll need.

If you look around, they also have a $40 DVM that'll
read to 1000*C (1832*F) and comes w/ a K-type
thermocouple, but it doesn't have a "peak-hold" which
is a very nice feature of some of the more expensive
EGT meters.

There is also a 12V - 110V power inverter, small but
w/o a power switch.

Disclaimer, just a reasonbly satisfied customer.

phil
(digest)