turbos

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:49:35 GMT 2001

This is a little of the subject of EFI, but you guys know so much about
cars, that your one of my best resources, so I had to ask.  My question
concerns engine failure and turbocharging.  If you take a stock non-turbo
engine and put a turbo on it, what is it exactly that causes failure.  I'm
interested in doing a junk-yard tubo install, but I'm afraid that it might
call for an engine rebuild, which currently I am not willing to go through
with.  If one is very careful to keep intake charge temperature down, can a
stock engine be turbocharged without detroying an engine?  The engine has a
stock CR of 9:1.  If I properly design implement an intercooler, and water
injection system, what sort of boost levels could I use reasonably, and keep
the car with daily driver reliability.  Also, on the topic of water
injection, how do you keep the water from freezing in the winter?  Thanks
for any answers anyone can provide.

-santi