plug readings vs electronics

Jason Mauldin jmauld at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 11 02:30:23 GMT 2001

--0-15349663-1002767414=:61810

 Actually, to carry this farther, EGT should only be used as a monitoring device AFTER getting the engine tuned on a dyno and determining what temperature your specific engine runs at.  Otherwise you could get a baseline of what it normally runs at, and then monitoring for variances in temp to detect problems, but other than that it's really difficult to use one by itself for engine tuning.  Unlike popular belief temperatures will rise if the mixture is too rich or lean, in addition to if you're knocking.

  Bruce <nacelp at bright.net> wrote:  Startin to look like all this may vary some by application, which is what my point was.   While one might state what is true for his application, doesn't make it a universal statement.EGT is nothiing more then a tuning tool, and you need to learn what the magic numbers are for various applications.  Bruce   ----- Original Message ----- From: Jason Mauldin To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 9:24 PMSubject: Re: plug readings vs electronics

My talon had a temp of aroun 1500F.  This was about 6" from the head.
  TwoLnBlktp90 at aol.com wrote: temps will go up very quickly when you are starting to detonate, letting you know you need to back off a little bit.

I'm not sure if the temp is universal, but for my DSM its somewhere around 1280F, this is of course affected by how far from the head the probe is set.

You can also get a data logger that will tell you the knock count.

Ricky

--0-15349663-1002767414=:61810

<P> Actually, to carry this farther, EGT should only be used as a monitoring device AFTER getting the engine tuned on a dyno and determining what temperature your specific engine runs at.&nbsp; Otherwise you could get a baseline of what it normally runs at, and then monitoring for variances in temp to detect problems, but other than that it's really difficult to use one by itself for engine tuning.&nbsp; Unlike popular belief temperatures will rise if the mixture is too rich or lean, in addition to if you're knocking.
<P>&nbsp;
<P>&nbsp; <B><I>Bruce &lt;nacelp at bright.net&gt;</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<STYLE></STYLE>

<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Startin to look like all this may vary some by application, which is what my point was.&nbsp;&nbsp; While one might state what is true for his application, doesn't make it a universal statement.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>EGT is nothiing more then a tuning tool, and you need to learn what the magic numbers are for various applications.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bruce</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A href="mailto:jmauld at yahoo.com" title=jmauld at yahoo.com>Jason Mauldin</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:diy_efi at diy-efi.org" title=diy_efi at diy-efi.org>diy_efi at diy-efi.org</A> </DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, October 10, 2001 9:24 PM</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: plug readings vs electronics</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<P>My talon had a temp of aroun 1500F.&nbsp; This was about 6" from the head.
<P>&nbsp; <B><I><A href="mailto:TwoLnBlktp90 at aol.com">TwoLnBlktp90 at aol.com</A></I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT size=2>temps will go up very quickly when you are starting to detonate, letting you know you need to back off a little bit. <BR><BR>I'm not sure if the temp is universal, but for my DSM its somewhere around 1280F, this is of course affected by how far from the head the probe is set. <BR><BR>You can also get a data logger that will tell you the knock count. <BR><BR>Ricky</FONT> </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT>
<P><BR>
<HR SIZE=1>
Make a great connection at <a
href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mktg/mail/txt/tagline/?http://personals.yahoo.com" target="_blank">Yahoo! Personals</a>.