turbos

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 03:21:56 GMT 2001

The engine is a '98 2.2l 4cyl chevy.  It's got quite a bit of miles on it,
76k or so.  I have no intention of running high boost, I just wanted to do
some thing to give the car a little more pep, and this seemed like something
I'd learn a lot from doing.  I'm thinking that it might be wise to rebuild
the engine, just on account of the fact that i think it's starting to go
through oil a little faster than it should for a '98, and after a few more
trips from college to home (upstate NY - so. cal.) it will have quie a bit
of miles.  Aside from obvious time reasons (it is my daily driver), my main
motivation for avoiding a rebuild is cash.

If I decide to go through with a rebuild before trying to do a turbo
install, what parts can you recommend that aren't too expensive.  I can't
imagine any aftermarket people make parts for this engine, so how do I get
new high quality pistons.  Also, If I do a rebuild, should I go to a lower
compression piston?  My main problem with that is that the whole turbo setup
that I'm trying to design needs to be quite modular, becuase I'll have to
take it out one a year to pass smog (stupid california), so if I lower
compression, I'll still need a driveable car w/o turbo.  Thanks in advance
for any help you guys can give me.

-santi