Somewhat related to EFI

A70Duster at aol.com A70Duster at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 15:53:13 GMT 2001

I'm rebuilding a SBC in a boat a jet drive.  I'm adding a supercharger (ATI) and building the engine around the supercharger.  The previous engine was a 350 SBC with about 10:1 pistons (280°, 480") cam, fuelie heads, and the engine would rev to 4000 RPM WOT.  I'm guessing that the engine will be closer to 5000 RPM with the supercharger at WOT.

I'm using lake water to cool the engine, so temps seldom get over 140°F.  A cooler block will not expand as much as a hotter block.

With the supercharger, more air and fuel are added, which generates more heat.  Hotter pistons expand more.

Now, to add to the confusion, I'm going with hypereutectics, which don't expand as much as cast/forged pistons.

Boost levels - no more than 8 psi without a intercooler, and more than that with and intercooler.

My question is what should piston to cylinder wall clearance be?  The box says 0.001" clearance, the machinist did 0.002" cause of the supercharger.  Then I read the extra clearance for a boat engine cooled by lake water.

I'm hearing multiple opinions (that off-set each other).  So I need to use "Does it make sense" filter.

It does have EFI, so it kinda belongs.

Thanks in advance.