Aerochargers are better than a twin screw!! hahaha ;-)

Stephen Webb swebb at netlab.uky.edu
Mon Oct 15 19:12:46 GMT 2001

> Electric generator motor combo would be interesting to see, but I imagine
> that a relatively high hp motor (I imagine it's >1 hp to spin a turbo under
> load) to 100K rpm's would be pretty tough.

I'm not sure I followed that.  Are you saying that any generator with a
reasonable capacity would be too big / massive to hook to a turbo, or are
you saying that the drag of the generator would overpower the amount of
work the turbine could do?  I realzie that it's probably not
practical.  Just a curiosity, I guess.

FWIW, a friend an I once calculated the amount of power the turbnine had
to be able to extract in order to drive a (rather large) compressor
operating at nearly full load.  We ballparked in the neighborhood of 100
HP, if I remember correctly.  (meaning 30-250 HP...)

I think a Garrett website mentioned something in the 90 HP range as to how
much power the turbine can capture.  Also "Maximum Boost" makes some
reference to a turbo being a "60 HP fan" or something.

There seems to be a lot of energy in the exhaust gas, that's for sure.

-Steve