Aerochargers are better than a twin screw!! hahaha ;-)

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 15 20:03:32 GMT 2001

>FWIW, a friend an I once calculated the amount of power the turbnine had
>to be able to extract in order to drive a (rather large) compressor
>operating at nearly full load.  We ballparked in the neighborhood of 100
>HP, if I remember correctly.  (meaning 30-250 HP...)
>
>I think a Garrett website mentioned something in the 90 HP range as to how
>much power the turbine can capture.  Also "Maximum Boost" makes some
>reference to a turbo being a "60 HP fan" or something.
>
>There seems to be a lot of energy in the exhaust gas, that's for sure.
>
>-Steve

OK, numbers. Say you've got an engine that makes 450 HP when running 14 psi
of boost.

You are going to need about 675 cfm of (sea level) air to make 450 HP,
which is about  50 lbs./min mass flow rate of air. To compress that much
air from 14.69 psia to 28.69 psia with a 70% efficient compressor will take
45.75 HP to drive the compressor IF the inlet air to the compressor is at
80° F. Power needed will go up if the inlet temp is higher.

Greg