Aerochargers are better than a twin screw!! hahaha ;-)

Guy Hammer hammg at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 16 01:52:19 GMT 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Ray Drouillard wrote:
> I wonder if you can extract that energy without costing an equal or greater
> amount at the crankshaft.  It would be an interesting mileage increase
> modification for a hybrid car.

I recall a Popular Science article from about 30 years ago where someone
was toying with the concept of a "Bottoming Cycle" engine or some-such.
The test horse was a Ford Galaxy powered by a turbocharged Pinto 4-banger.
They used the waste heat from the coolant and the residual exhaust heat
downstream of the turbo to boil some sort of refrigerant into vapor. The vapor
was used to drive a "steam" engine attached to the driveshaft in addition
to the output of the normal transmission.

As I recall it was able to majorly boil the rear hides from a standing start.
Guy Hammer, guyh at aracnet.com
http://www.aracnet.com/~guyh
--
  6:26pm  up 3 days,  3:06,  6 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00