DIY_EFI Digest V5 #813

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Wed Oct 17 01:38:48 GMT 2001

Just to tie this all together, I am having an Aerocharger installed on my
Probe GTS in a couple weeks. (Currently I'm waiting for my Quaife LSD to
be finished. I must admit, it surprised me to join this list and see so much
talk about Aerochargers going on...)

Now that Bruce has reminded me of it, going with the MAP setup makes even
more sense. I'm going to have to install the MAP sensor anyway because of
the turbo, and it would be the least restrictive approach. This doesn't seem
like a tweak I can easily do outside of the ECU though, unless I use my own
microcontroller. For the turbo situation, I think the ECU needs to be
modified
anyway because it will ignore airflow readings that are higher than it
expects.
(In effect, the ECU already has the engine's VE curve in ROM. Whenever the
airflow reading exceeds the builtin max, the builtin max is used. Kinda
makes you wonder why they even bothered with a VAF in the first place.)

And then there's the ignition hack, and I'm still looking for a source of
pencil ignition coils. The GM LS1 coils are damn expensive from the dealer,
and I haven't found anyone else who sells them.

  -- Howard Chu