Wide-band O2 sensor - Hugo?

Ray Drouillard RayLists at quixnet.net
Wed Oct 17 19:26:09 GMT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "elcamino73" <elcamino73 at mindspring.com>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 11:53 PM
Subject: Re: Wide-band O2 sensor - Hugo?

> Can the wbo2 be used with the ECM? kinda thought it was a stand alone unit

Well... the Holley ECM is fully programmable.  It connects straight to a
standard O2 sensor, and receives a signal between 0 and 5 volts (actually,
it more like 0.8 - 4.9 V).  Since the stand-alone UEGO circuit works in the
same range, it should be no problem to hook them up.

Oops... there might be grounding issues.  I'll have to look at the diagram.
Maybe an opto-isolator will do the trick.

Anyhow, the Holley ECM allows you to change the "set point" - the voltage
that the ECU tries to achieve by adjusting the fuel that is injected.  This
is useless with a HEGO sensor, so I can only speculate that the Holley folks
wrote the software with a UEGO sensor in mind as a future upgrade.

The burning question in my mind is if the feedback routine will work
properly with a sensor that doesn't move very far.  I can think of many ways
of writing it so that it will work fine.  We shall see... :-)

Ray Drouillard