Lean burn engines

Seth sethea at mediaone.net
Thu Oct 18 01:57:06 GMT 2001

There is petrol engine lean, and there is diesel engine lean.

Gasoline engine lean is like 15-20:1 gravimetric AFR. And if you get
this lean, combustion temps are falling off in a big way. Lean and
burning things is more like just lean of stoich (~14.7) **and** full
throttle. I contend you can still burn things even rich of stoich until
you add enough fuel to create a more reducing atmosphere and the
combustion temps fall off. I *speculate* this has something to do with a
non-homogenous charge in the cylinder resulting in local packets that
are oxygen or fuel rich.

Diesel engine lean is more like greater than 100:1 gravimetric AFR. If
you have all air and almost no fuel burning, then you aren't going to
burn anything. (but a little fuel) Even at full power, many diesels
don't go fuel richer than 40:1 You probably won't find this to be the
case at the tractor pull, though.

-Seth