Aerochargers are better than (insert compressor)

clayb clayb at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 04:37:11 GMT 2001

> From: bearbvd at mindspring.com (Greg Hermann)
>
> It would be pretty interesting to use this controller to operate a > conventional waste gate on a conventional turbo--but one has to wonder > whether the valve in even the best of the conventional waste-gates would > live with such a high percentage of its time spent "off seat"!

It works just fine with a conventional wastegate and turbo. If you can
imagine an application with big turbos, anytime you're running a paltry
5-10 psi, the wastegates are bleeding. It isn't the throttle blades that
control the power, it's the wastegates.

The valve guide housing on a good wastegate (like Garrett) is heavily
finned in cast iron, to address the valve issue you mention.

Also, standard turbos, when well matched for the application, perform
very well. I have to believe a nice, aerodynamic exhaust housing and
turbine will be more efficient than an aerocharger, over an admittedly
smaller RPM range. You makes your tradeoffs. I'm sticking with turbos,
non-VNT. Boat application gives me more leeway with the (slightly)
narrower peak boost range, also.

- Clay