Thermal coatings

Jurgen Hartwig jhartwig at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Oct 20 23:08:02 GMT 2001

> Techline specifically says when asked that they do not apply their
own coatings,
> and that the coatings they sell for industrial use are not the same
as the
> coatings they sell for individual use.  I tried to obtain some
industrial
> coatings by ordering them from Techline through a shop.  I learned
that the
> equipment required to apply them is quite expensive.  They were
certainly
> willing to sell th coatings to me.  I have not had any bad
experinece with the
> "over the counter" coatings, other than the time spent "practicing"
how to
> properly prep for and apply them.
>
> Funny how people like to say they know a secret.  Who is your
friend's shop's
> supplier?

Well, I told the friend I wanted to ceramic coat my pistons, and he
had some choice words about them (Tech Line).  He does shoot off his
mouth a bunch, though.  Apparently, friend of the friend did some
research on high tech coatings while enrolled at the University of
Texas.  He got a PhD or some crap like that.  Anyway, if you want a
contact name and phone number, I can look it up.

I personally haven't had any noticable problems with my engine,
although I will be the first to admit I'm not about to tear down the
engine to see if the stuff is still working. :)

For me, if I had the choice between paying a pro to do the coatings,
or not doing it at all, I would choose the later.  That choice is
simply because I'm not willing to pay the premium for such modest
gains.  I mean, considering street car power, ceramic coating power
gain is about the same as emptying one's trunk of all the junk and old
Playboy magazines.  Am I wrong???  Now, since I have a blast cabinet
and the tools to apply the coatings, I obviously did the DIY method.

Where did you get those fancy chemicals?  Back in the day, I tried to
buy some sodium in solid form for some teenage hijinks, but failed
miserably.  I think with a sue-happy country, a chemical supplier
would be very leery of selling any chemical to Joe Friday???

jay