WBO2 LCD digital display

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Mon Oct 22 18:38:43 GMT 2001

This brings up a point that I have been wondering about.  I have run an LCD
panel meter on my narrow band O2 sensor on my carbureted motorcycle for
about four years now.  I can monitor the readout fairly well because
carburetor jet circuits do not dynamically vary the AFR as does an EFI
system.  However, when I have monitored the O2 sensor on my EFI car the
reading constantly toggles between rich and lean as the EFI does its job.
It is impossible to make sense of the output with an ordinary DVM because
of the rapid changes.  I normally use a DVM with a min/max/avg capability
to capture what is happening.  During WOT the EFI runs open loop and the O2
sensor output settles down somewhat but min/max/avg still helps.

I would guess that the WBO2 unit's output is also going to swing wildly
during normal driving.  Again WOT may be more stable.  But unless there is
some averaging built into the circuit I would think the output will be
difficult to read.

Neil

I agree with Bruce; a digital display may be quite difficult
to use on the road.  The problem is not just the size; the
signal is making small changes at a rate that could
turn the digit into a blur of numbers.

The LED display was designed specifically to deal with
these issues; it has been shown to work very well in
practice.  It also deals with the linearity problems.  Data
logging is another answer, perhaps the best when
only one person is involved.
<