MAF experiments.

Bruce nacelp at bright.net
Mon Oct 22 21:56:45 GMT 2001

 If you know all there is to know on the subject of MAFs, please delete
now.....

 In case you missed it, I'm using a Translator Plus, Extender Chip and late
MAF.  Engine is kinda stock with a Crane 206/206 roller cam, polished
combustion chambers, 60 turbo, 55#/hr injectors, Bailey Modified ecm, Boost
controller, volt blaster, THDP, ATR single 3" exhuast, and a host of other
lil things.  Basic car is a 87 Buick GN, (turbo v6)

Some notes and other stuff at:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/mafrelocate.html

 Relocated the MAF to the upper I/C pipe, and then tried every combination
of 3-3.5 MAF, with/ without screens, and with and without aerofoil.

   Best combo was a 3.5" guts in a 3" housing, airfoil and supporting ribs
for the electronics removed.   But, note the screen in place.

   I'm really fussy about drivibility.  Like, really Anal.  If you think I
write in a petulant manner, you should see how I get about drivibility in my
own car.

   Anyway, removing the screen, just ruined the calibration.  All the light
cruise LV8s were erratic.  But took less throttle opening to maintain a
given speed, so that in it's self told me the screen was restrictive.
(point of reference 58 MPH was .76v TPS, and 72 MPH was .92v TPS).  With the
screen removed was .74v, and .86v.   Not much difference but remember at
less then 1v TPS the butterfly is hardly open.  So there must be a
 restriction of some sort (BTW, those numbers are average of hours and hours
of driving, not just one time figures).

   OK, 2001 vettes same general MAF but no screen,  Hmmm?.
 The filter ducting thou was almost a straight line.
   Hmmm, maybe we're onto something, but there just isn't room for a longer
straight pipe..  OK, we have a thousand holes, .060" in diameter, and with
about .008" wall thickness, .250 long.  How can we duplicate or APPROXIMATE
that devise.
  Stopped a hobby shop and bought some .005" brass sheeting, then built an X
(thou, 90d), that was 2.5" wide, and tall, and 2" long.  This was inserted
in the up pipe pre MAF to try and reduce the turbulence
   Hehehehe,
  Works wonerifilly.......
  Again this is what worked on my car, my way, with my testing in my little
world.   Lots of variables, and building anything that fits in the air flow
is a very serious matter and not to be tried lightly.  If  you don't know
what your doing, don't try this, but it is offered as education material.
  The permanent version of the Vane will be .010" brass, and some corner
bracing.
  Blipping the gas in N, it acts almost like a N/A engine!.   Since I, nor
anyone else has posted doing this before, there is no further info., in the
archives.  No promising this will work on your car, either.
 Bruce
    87 GN with couple tweaks to it <g>........
    Credit must be given to the sacrifices of the little guys in getting
this done.  They just can't not get into trouble with scissors, and a hot
soldering iron.  Wounds are minor, so no need to express any condolenses, or
offers of aid, prosthetics, etc.