Thermal coatings

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Tue Oct 23 02:19:36 GMT 2001

I thought I'd just throw my observations in here.

My engine will get run hot if the timing is too far advanced.  In fact, it will
get very hot on the highway when cruising at about 3200 RPM.   Normally it runs
at 195-200 degrees F., just like it's supposed to.  It seems to take longer to
warm up at idle or in traffic, but if I get on it a little when entering the
highway near the house, it seems to warm up very quickly.  I have no oil temp
gauge but I am sure that oil temps would not be significantly lower on long
trips.  There is no oil cooler and there's no indication that "extra" heat is
going out the exhaust pipes.  As this is the only engine I have used coatings
in, I cannot say it is worth the effort.  But I do feel that further
investigation _is_ worth the effort and so I will go through the process of
applying them in at least one more build.

Shannen