Oz WB PCBs - now available - Or how I screwed the list

Andrew Theurer habanero at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 24 19:08:23 GMT 2001

> Why now would anyone with enough talent want to contibute to any possible
> **money makers**, when  they can devote the work to their own end, and cash
> in on it.
> Pete made money an issue.

People do this all the time.  Linux, Samba, FreeBSD.  The money makers do
have some restictions, like making available original source code, but they
are free to make as much money as customers are willing to give them.   They
do not have to give their contributions back in many cases (linking to a LGPL
library, writing a kernel module, etc).  But the developers still  work at
it, despite people making money off it.

If you are worried that someone might make money off an idea/contribution you
made public, then you shouldn't make your ideas/contributions public.  If I
ever contribute something original to these efforts (I currently don't have
that talent), I assume that those ideas are in the public domain, where
anybody can do whatever the hell they want with it.  It's too much trouble to
worry how someone might make money over my publicly disclosed idea.  So, in
short, why care about how someone is making money of your idea?  Does it
really effect you?  Were your intentions to make money on this eventually?
I think you need to be realistic here.

-Andrew