WB discussion and war

Kevin Wright krwright at wankel.net
Thu Oct 25 17:12:30 GMT 2001

OK, I don't believe I've ever posted to this list before, but I think
this is important enough to come out of hiding.
I'm learning a lot from this list. I'm only a fringe electronics
hobbyist, so a lot of this stuff is new and different, and I haven't
been able to contribute so far.
I think the core issue here is that if dishonest jackasses continue
to try to make a profit off of the group's work, nobody's going to
contribute any more. It's a self-defeating action: you exploit a
groups produce, and the group's going to stop producing.
The thieves justify their profit by claiming that they are just being
compensated for their time; well, what about the creator's time?
*They're* not making a profit. They're not even breaking even. Some
of them have money as well as time invested in the project. What
about them.
Stop it with the rationalization. It doesn't matter if the EULA is
legally enforceable or not; the specific language doesn't matter. The
spirit of the agreement is what matters, and if you don't understand
that spirit, you need to leave. Lawyers may argue about the letter of
the law, but an intelligent man should understand the spirit in which
it was intended. That spirit and intent has been made clear on this
list many times in just the short time that I've been on it.
How difficult is it to understand "You will not derive any profit
from this list's produce"?

Sorry for the length, I'm not as facile in expressing myself as I wish I was.:)
--
Kevin Wright
krwright at wankel.net
krwright at ev1.net