WB discussion and war

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Thu Oct 25 19:05:27 GMT 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:07:11 +0800 (WST) Bernd Felsche
<bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> writes:

> If you think you've been screwed, get over it. Read the agreement
> and conditions and look at what they're _really_ worth. Somebody
> else just picked up that you'd placed the whole kit and kaboodle in
> the public domain in which case you have no rights.

I don't think so. As you've addressed the remainder of your reply as if
*I* was speaking for the diyWB team, let me point out again, I don't feel
screwed, it wasn't my fingers that typed the usage agreement up, nor
elaborated on its intent later. But I can sure sypathize with their
feelings.

If someone wants to hang on the term "public domain" and imagine
themselves honorable simply because the usage agreement isn't written in
proper legaleze, then I think you've said a barge-full about yourself and
your level of integrity. Just more wiggling.

> But don't expect anybody to comply with any conditions attached
> because they can make their own conditions, as it's as much theirs
> as yours. You've just told them that.

Really now. So you weight the improper (legally speaking) use of the term
"public domain" in one place over against all the other text and
subsequent postings that clearly don't mean totally unrestricted usage.
You want to catch on that one phrase and ignore all the rest? So much for
your interest in the spirit of the agreement.

> In
> spite
> of what's written I'll respect what's requested as far as is
> reasonable.

Yeah, right. Whoops, uncovered yourself again. You are going to take the
goods no matter what, and then decide what you are going to respect and
not? That's no agreement. If you can pick and choose what restrictions
you'll honor, you might as well just not ever *read* the usage agreement.
No difference. Just grab.

> Next time, I trust you'll put the agreement and conditions up for
> review so that we can pick holes in it before you put more stuff in
> the public domain.

All the legaleze in the world will never make you an honest man if your
intention is not that in the first place. Your own words show that; you
want to see the agreement and conditions so you can pick holes in them?
That's what lawyers do, not people wanting to partner with others in good
faith. You're not interested in figuring out the intent so you can honor
it, you're just looking for loopholes. Like I said before, people like
that I avoid as untrustworthy. I'm afraid after what you've posted in
succession here, sadly I'm going to have to add you to that list. Another
high-brow gets the gong.

Brian