was injector staging: now Buick V6

bill.shurvinton at nokia.com bill.shurvinton at nokia.com
Fri Oct 26 10:11:02 GMT 2001

Confession time,

I would have loved to have brought a GN back to UK with me, but good
ones are hard to come by and my garage wasn't big enough.

Despite it having some design faults (90° V6) I have a soft spot for the
3.8 L27 fitted in the wife's Trans sport. I might not feel the same if I
was paying for the gas it was guzzling, but that might have something to
do with my idea of cruising being 90MPH.

I am planning a serious trawl of the GM archives to start looking into
some mods though. The biggest bear is the auto box, as you can't hold it
in gear or force early changes, which is a shame because, in first it
sounds horrible when you gun it up to the red line, but in second you
can ride the torque and still get half decent acceleration (relative to
a 2 ton 4-wheel sofa).

After that, forced induction. After all 8.5:1 CR is just calling out for
a bit of boost. Back to the main design problem, it don't fit easy
transversely, leaving very little room to put anything in. You certainly
would have fun plumbing in a turbo and a SC would be challenging. So if
anyone has an L67 going cheap, let me know, as you can't retrofit an
eaton to the stock engine.

It's interesting that you can buy performance mods for every SUV ever
made, but nothing for the mom mobiles. Obviously not suitable vehicles
for real men!

Bill