off topic email

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Fri Oct 26 20:23:33 GMT 2001

Arnaud Westenberg wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > As long as someone is going to try and ruin the list's work then it's
> > list traffic.

It's not the list's work, Bruce, it's your work and Bob's and Chad's and
the rest of the group.

> I agree.
>
> Although I haven't contributed to this list, and this may take a while
> as well, I think I do have the right to express my opinions.

It's good that you think you have that right.  You didn't spend the
money to register the domain name, you don't own the server or
contribute money to the person who does own it, you don't put any time
into maintaining the WWW page or the mailing list or the server, you
don't get email from non-listers who see your email address and want you
to diagnose their problems.  But somehow you do have the right to
express your opinion.

Let me make something perfectly clear.  This list exists due to the
efforts of a very small group of people who keep the server running,
majordomo fed and happy, etc.  For example, Jon Valesh has the right at
any time to pull the plug on the server.  I have the right at any time
to take diy-efi.org and use it for my own purposes.  That's because we,
respectively, own these things.  Other peoples rights as list members do
not trump the rights of the people who spend time and money to keep
things physically running.

Now, I'm speaking to a wide audience here, not just Arnaud.  Let me
repeat the charter of this list, which is posted for everyone to see on
the main diy_efi page:

strictly to the discussion of topics related to EFI design and
modification. I would like to see discussion on control algorithms,
hardware, electronics, and sensor/sensor-interface designs.
Additionally, modification and adaptations of OEM ECU's would also be
welcomed.

This was written by John Gwynne when he first started the list, at
Ohio-State.  It hasn't changed.  We (and by we, I mean the people who
really have rights concerning the list) are willing to interpret this
very broadly but most of what's been posted recently is WAY WAY beyond
the boundaries of what's acceptable.

Months ago there was some confusion as to what Bruce's license really
meant.  His position has been made perfectly clear.  Some may not like
it but you can't change it.  Further discussion has degenerated into
insults and vague threats.  It serves no purpose and is off topic.  Keep
it private.

People say they reserve the right to post private email to the list.
Try calling the local paper and telling them that you have the right to
publish private emails in their paper and see what they say.  Keep
private emails private.

There have been hints and allegations of illegal activity.  If true,
it's important, but still not on charter.  Take the problem up with
someone who can remedy the situation.

The biggest value of this list is not the WWW page, or the projects,
it's the archives.  This kind of nonsense diminshes their value which is
why there is a list charter in the first place.  When someone gets
around to creating the condensed version of this month's archive this WB
license thread and related threads will be deleted.  That's a good
indication that they should never have been posted in the first place.

The charter is plainly written.  I'll debate these facts with anyone who
disagrees but that discussion would be off topic.  So if you feel the
need to reply then send it directly to me at the address just below.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com