Effects of camshaft timing on turbo spool-up

Camden Lindsay cjl169 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 15:38:37 GMT 2001

Hello,
I'm sorry if this is not EFI enough to be considered on this list.  If you
feel it is not, please email to me personally....

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why camshaft timing effects turbo
spool-up--

On my audi (83 turbo motor)  peak boost stock occured at appx 4500
rpm-6000rpm (8-9 psi, manual wastegate... that is, just a spring, not
electronics..)... I had read on audifans that retarding the cam (maybe i
have this reversed-- maybe it was crank retard-- but don't remember) would
cause spool up to be earlier, which i investigated (purchased an adjustable
cam gear).  Indeed it did-  by retarding the cam timing 16 degrees or so,
(which is what they said to try it at first) the peak boost dropped to about
3000 rpm and the high rpm boost dropped significantly (so it was about even
with the  3000 rpm boost, which was 5-6 psi)

The main thing i noticed was the wastegate popping ALOT earlier (3k rpm)...
so what'd i do...?  Put a stronger spring in!  After that it ran 8-9 psi
from 3k to 5.8k or so, with a small taper above that.

The only thing i could figure was that, with cam retard, the exhaust gasses
are getting pressurized a small about by the piston before their release
throught the valves, somhow increasing exhaust velocity.
Is this phenomenon caused by the exhaust velocity, with the taper caused by
turbine efficiency? Or is the taper caused by the VE of the motor dropping
at the higher rpm because of the aformentioned (piston pressurizing exhaust
more/not as mutch time for intake)phenomenon?
If that is true, wouldn't this be a way to compensate (within reason) for
using a larger turbo on the motor?

Thanks for any insight,
Camden