Oz WB PCBs - now available - Or how I screwed the list

joe graham velocity150 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 27 20:23:08 GMT 2001

I think that the people who are arguing about the money involved are totally
missing the point.  This is not now nor was it ever about money.  This was
about someone who totally ignored the user agreement and proceded to flaunt
it and say there is nothing you can do about it.  Make no mistake here the
user agreement is crystal clear in this regard.
“It is not intended for commercial use, or to be in any manner related to a
profit organization or individual. By downloading the following information
you will be agreeing that it is for your own personal non profit use.”
This piece of “freeware” was given away with the expectation that you would
use it yourself for no profit.  The reason I call it freeware is I feel it
is.  It falls under the same general concept as say Jay writing an archive
cleanup tool.  Everyone here would be up in arms if I tried to sell his
cleanup tool.  Even if I sold it for a penny per copy.  I have no right to
sell his software no matter how much I change it or how many times I say he
gave it to me so no it is mine.  It would be morally wrong.  To make matters
worse the only real recourse Jay has against someone selling his software is
to stop giving away the software he writes.  This is exactly what happened
with the WB.  When the agreement was broken, flaunted and then Peter’s
actions defended by some on the list, the people with the experience to make
new projects go simply said no more.  They are well within their rights to
do this.  I believe I would do the same thing.  I can really understand
where Bruce is coming from.  He has spent a great deal of time making this
list happen. (I know that he is not the only one so please no flames for
just mentioning his name and not yours.)  He has answered questions and
provided information that is invaluable.  He visits other boards and spreads
the word.  For all this he gets replies like its only “5 or 10 dollars” and
“can we talk about something else now” and “this is not the lists business.”
  Well it is the lists business.  Piracy and  tolerence of piracy has
damaged this lists ability to move forward technologically.  Everyone who is
developing something now is keeping it to themselves.  After all why should
they share it with people who are ungrateful or people who will steal it and
sell it or people who demand it because you have it.  Without being able to
move forward this list is nothing more than a rehash for those who are not
willing to read the archives.   No one should condone this sort of behavior.
  Those who do also screw the list.

JG