Increasing fuel pressure

Glenn g.stile at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 30 10:39:30 GMT 2001

Hello Steve

Im new to the group but have allot of experience modifying cars, I have used
a few rising rate fuel regulators  cars I have built custom turbo
installations for.

They do need setting up, but depending on the type you get there are
different
ways of doing this, I use Cartech rising rate fuel regulators part of
bell engineering (Corky Bell) they do a lovely new billet version.

The Cartech rising rate fuel pressure regulator or FMU has a number
of adjustments depending on the model, the first is the onset of gain
this is the point where the presser starts to be increased over the standard
fuel pressure based on the intake manifold pressure, the second adjustment
is the rate of gain which is the speed at witch the pressure is increased

The most convenient tuning method is measuring the fuel pressure and
adjusting
the rate of gain, a fuel pressure gauge should be installed by teeing into
the fuel line
which feeds the fuel injector rail.

To get a reference/ starting pressure pull the signal line (from intake
manifold) off
the regulator, so the regulator will see atmospheric pressure as a signal.
the fuel
pressure at atmospheric should be between 45-50psi from most turbo cars.

In general most forced induction systems will need approximately 6psi more
fuel
pressure per psi of boost, start with the fuel pressure measured at idle
with the
signal line off, 45psi for example if 7psi boost is the objective then
adjust the regulator
to get 87psi (45 + 6 * 7) at 6 psi boost a little play around and you will
find the best
pressure

You can generate the higher than atmo signal to the regulator with an
airline
so that you can set the car up without going anywhere, but it is also
advisable
to strap the fuel pressure gauge to the windscreen and check the pressure
whilst
on a run.

The question I have for you is why would you want to use a rising rate fuel
pressure
regulator when the purpose of this group is to develop an programmable ECU
which will
allow you to inject the right amount of fuel by simple setting it to do so.

anyway hope this helps

Glenn