DIY-WB... It's alive...

Programmer nwester at eidnet.org
Sun Sep 2 22:55:54 GMT 2001

> I have a question about O2 sensors in general.  On a fuel injection
> setup where the ignition has a bad miss or even fails for a 1/4 second
> while injection continues,  will the O2 sensor go rich because the fuel
> isn't being burnt or lean because the O2 is still in the mixture.<<

Yes--the overall AFR goes richer, as the missfire is "calculated" as being
lean. It's interpretted as being lean because of excess O2 in the exhaust.
The same thing happens with any false air ahead of the O2 sensor.

> That then begs the question.  If the Stochimetric condition is when all
> the O2 used to burn all the fuel,  how can it ever show a rich
> condition?<<

Because of the type of O2 sensor, it only works in a very narrow band
around 14.7--not all the O2 is gone, however...there's still enough for
proper converter operation.

Lyndon.