DIY-WB... It's alive...

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Mon Sep 3 00:11:39 GMT 2001

As mentioned the O2 sensor responds first & foremost to O2. When
the exhaust is stoich, the partial pressure of O2 in the atmosphere will
cause the O2 sensor to generate ~450mV. In order for the O2 sensor
to detect a rich condition, there is a platinum coating on the sensor cone.

Platinum being the catalyst it is will burn off the HC by pulling O2
through the porus cone. This action generates a voltage > 450mV.

BobR.

John Dammeyer wrote:

> I have a question about O2 sensors in general.  On a fuel injection
> setup where the ignition has a bad miss or even fails for a 1/4 second
> while injection continues,  will the O2 sensor go rich because the fuel
> isn't being burnt or lean because the O2 is still in the mixture.
>
> That then begs the question.  If the Stochimetric condition is when all
> the O2 used to burn all the fuel,  how can it ever show a rich
> condition?
>
> Regards,
>
> John Dammeyer

<snip>