DIY-WB... It's alive...

Mark S. Riley turbotuneusltd at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 04:17:08 GMT 2001

Stoich is not 100% utilization of the O2. Stoich is the point at which the
gas emissions are the lowest and highest. I'll have to break out a book,
can't remember  the exact numbers but stoichimetric is not neccessarily
where you might want to run your engine. But it does give the lowest
emissions there. So, that's why the all the OEM's are so concerned with it.
And that's why O2 sensors and all fuel air meters currently used are so
concerned with it.
As for the range 10:1 to approximately 22:1 is not really where gas engines
run. Quite frequently meters will read over a far larger range than what is
neccessary or wanted. I think the fact that the sensor will read to 20/22:1
is like the air conditioning freon sniffers. I have one of those that is so
sensitive, the manufactor claims it will detect a 1 OZ. per year leak. Any
idea what that kind of ratio that might be, 5 million to 1 or something
ridiculous. Gasoline engine will run fairly reliably in the range of 11.5:1
up to 16.5:1. Numbers that low don't make max power and numbers that high
can't make much but it will run. I don't think anyone has every come close
to 100% utilization of the O2. Top Fuel might be the closest but I still
think they have a long way to go to 100%. later, Mark