Oz DIY-WB board & sensor group purchase

Brian L Massey blocklm at juno.com
Tue Sep 4 06:51:33 GMT 2001

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 11:05:45 +1000 Peter Gargano <peter at techedge.com.au>
writes:

> I've decide to go out on a limb and offer a DIY-WB kit of parts to
> all local PCB purchasers. It will be at cost + AU$20. It's still
> DIY,
> all I'm offering is a means to save people the time they would
> otherwise each individually spend sourcing these parts from a few
> different places. I'm certainly not doing this as a money making
> proposition as my time is more valuable than the hourly rate I'd
> be notionally making, but I'm doing it to make the point that DIY
> does not have to mean people are not recompensed for extra work
> they offer. I can expand on my expressed attitude if anyone is not
> happy with this brief explanation.

Umm Peter, (or should I say General Motors), you seem to be arguing for
an odd sort of down-under capitalism? You get the raw goods for free,
from a group of people whose point (let's call it their expressed
attitude, as you have) was intentionally *not* to ask for compensation
for their extra work, effort, or contribution to this project, and now
-you- insist on being compensated for your proposed "extra work". How is
that? If you see your involvement as hired labor, and you expect more
than good will and thanks as your compensation, unlike Bob-Bruce-&-team
who have insisted on none of that, then it seems to me that your
*attitude* being in opposition to theirs, simply means you are out. Plain
and simple. They did it as a charitable project, but now you want to be
compensated? Stand down man, and let someone else who is willing to
continue in the original spirit, take your place. If you want a platform
for your own social attitudes on how these projects should be handled,
then do it with your own projects. You are crapping on this one, just to
try to "make your point"?

If you are man enough to refrain from bootlegging the circuit or boards,
when things don't go your way (I trust you are?), then be man enough to
just opt out, instead of trying to piss the donors off by sticking your
"attitude" in their faces repeatedly, especially under a fake name. If it
was your project and you were one of the major players, you could argue
for your attitude, I suppose. But as far as I can tell, and especially
from your General Motors facade posts, you are just sticking your nose
where it isn't welcome, and making Grumpy even grumpier. He's hard enough
to deal with as it is. Hate to say it, but I'm beginning to see why. Tnx.

Brian (blockhead in learn-mode)

And I'm not building with a PCB, I'm using perfboard instead, so I don't
have any vested interest in the boards at all. Just don't like the
General's agenda.