What went wrong with the Aussie WB Buy?

Scot Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Tue Sep 4 15:47:31 GMT 2001

Or, How greed screwed things up.....

First, Bruce wanted a DIY_WB.  He did not have the skills to do it
himself.  But what he did have, was the ability to get some other folks
together to get it done.  After numerous expensive set backs, several
years, lots of prodding, poking, and learning, the first prototype was
born.  This came from a lot of effort from among others, Chad Clendening
(did I spell that right?).  Did I mention Bruce spent a lot of his own
money to get sensors, data and so forth?  Remember that.

A few built it, and it worked.  At the pow-wow last March, several
others got together and realized that some of the basic prototype
circuitry could be improved upon.  With that task done, it was again
tried, and it worked.  Boards were designed, built and paid for behind
the scenes by a loyal few.  By this time, a lot of time, energy, dollars
and work had been invested by a relatively small amount of dedicated
folks.

At last, a true DIY_WB was about ready for the masses.  All the folks
who put all that time, money, effort and dedication into the project was
to ask that no one try to make any money off the deal. Pretty simple,
huh?  Everybody continue in the spirit that has been laid down.  Pass it
on for free.

Then we get someone a long the line who says something like, "I will
handle parts, but I need 20 dollars a piece to do it".  Go back and read
it, it was "cost plus".  Definitely not the spirit that originally got
the job done.  Then to add insult to injury, we had several call the
originator mean spirited for calling him on it, with the tone in the
message of "I WANT MINE!".  Well, you got it.  Hurl your invectives at
the one who wanted to make money off other peoples efforts, not the one
who brought it to you.

Scot Sealander