Digital Tach and Newbie!

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:55:55 GMT 2001

>Since RPM seems to not need high accuracy you could do it with a LED array
>of say
>50 LED's for an accuracy of 120RPM and a range of 6000RPM...how does that
>sound? I
>guess it would start to get expensive WRT the drivers but leds are
>cheapish.

That sounds like a great solution, but I don't know where to start.  Where
is a good place to pick up signal that I'll be dealing with.  To give you an
Idea of my experience so far, let me tell you a little bit about myself.  I
am currently a sophomore attending Cornell University as a physics major.
Over the summer I did get some experience programming the AltiVec unit on
the G4 processor and doing some code vectorization.  I know a lot about
cars, but their electronics are quite foreign to me.  My Car experience
includes taking an ASE certified course in Automotive Performance, and I
have also restored a '68 Caddy Deville Convt.  In terms of electronics I am
currently taking a course on circuits and such, but the year has just
started, and I have yet to learn anything useful.  As of now I can put
electronics together, but I have little to no understanding of designing
circuits, and what the specific parts do.

That being said, is anyone out there willing to help be design and implement
this "led" tach?  I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope that in the future, I will be able to contribute much more to this
group.  I am about to join the Cornell SAE Formula team (which for those of
you don't know, is an competition in which school build a race car from
scratch, and race with other schools.)  This car's EFI system is also
designed and implemented from scratch.  This is the part of the team which I
am most interested, and hopefully once I have some experience with that I
can contribute to the group, instead of just asking questions.

So, if anybody is willing to help me with this tach, i'd really appreciate
it!

-Santi Udomkesmalee (sorry for rambling)