Digital Tach

Lachlan lpgb at xtra.co.nz
Thu Sep 6 01:33:43 GMT 2001

I am an advocate of simplicity and would prob not go so far as a PLC or other programable
device. Apart from the fact that I only ever did it at TAFE in Aus and would have to
'learn' it all over again!. I think that with simple components like counters and dividers
and common logic IC's you could easily do this but having said all that I would probably
end up building a multi-function device that had bar graph, digital display and a switch
to switch between different functions like temp, voltage and other non essential
readings.....but then I would start thinking aobut adding threshold warnings and if I was
going to take it even further, peak hold and data logging on a PC based device....then if
I had all the time in the world and no other projects a full blown vehicle managment
system that tried to elliminate copper in the car through the use of a bus and control
modules for each discrete unit in the car like tail lights, dash lights, engine
management.....bah bla...sorry....

you should be able to pick a nice square wave out of the ECU or ignition computer or one
of the pins but that depends and I think that another list member should have more
specific info for you and your car :)

Lachlan. (ranting)