Digital Tach

Peter Gargano peter at techedge.com.au
Thu Sep 6 02:16:44 GMT 2001

Lachlan wrote:

> I am an advocate of simplicity and would prob not go so far as a PLC or other programable
> device. Apart from the fact that I only ever did it at TAFE in Aus and would have to
> 'learn' it all over again!. I think that with simple components like counters and dividers
> and common logic IC's you could easily do this ...

Silicon Chip (SC) had a 5 digit, digital tacho in October 1997 - Sixteen 4xxx
series chips on a large PCB!!

>  ... but having said all that I would probably
> end up building a multi-function device that had bar graph, digital display and a switch
> to switch between different functions like temp, voltage and other non essential
> readings.....

SC has more recently described a 16F84 PIC based unit that's as small as the
oxygen sensor display unit I also mentioned the other week.

> but then I would start thinking aobut adding threshold warnings and if I was
> going to take it even further, peak hold and data logging on a PC based device....then if
> I had all the time in the world and no other projects a full blown vehicle managment
> system that tried to elliminate copper in the car through the use of a bus and control
> modules for each discrete unit in the car like tail lights, dash lights, engine
> management.....bah bla...sorry....

It would be simple matter to take the new SC PIC based unit and add some code
to display the extra information (I'm not offering ;-).

Peter