Stoich is.....

Les Newell les at lnewell.screaming.net
Thu Sep 6 19:09:14 GMT 2001

Stoich is when the end result is as fully reacted as possible
The ideal reaction for methane is
1 CH4 + 2 O2  -> 1 CO2 + 2 H2O
Both CO2 and H2O are stable and will not easily react further.

If you have too much fuel you end up with:
2 CH4 + 3 O2  -> 2 CO + 4 H2O
CO will easily react with oxygen.

If you have too much oxygen you end up with:
2 CH4 + 5 O2  -> 2 CO2 + 4 H2O + O2
The O2 will obviously react with any fuel available

In practise of course the reactions are not as clear cut as the mixture
never fits the equations perfectly so you will get combinations of the above
reactions depending on the exact air/fuel mix.

Les

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org